Friday, December 12, 2008

And you know you're a parent when...

Allen had the day off today (and tomorrow too- How did I get so lucky? I most certainly dont know what to do with myself!) and it couldnt have come at a better time. I flat out needed a break (others mamas can understand that right?). Allen took the kids this morning, fed them breakfast, washed them both and got them dressed (Juliana was dressed back in PJs but hey, Im loving that attempt) while I stayed in bed and snoozed and took a little big bit of time to myself. Theres only so many noses that you can wipe, medications that you can administer, diapers that you can change, baths that you can give, tantrums that you can deal with, spitups that you can clean up, kitchens,living rooms,couches that you can sweep up (after a toddler has dumped out the entire box of cereal and bag of goldfish), toilets that you can fetch toys out of, and non machine washable rugs that you can rinse and scrub up (after same said toddler has dumped out the entire bottle of shampoo on) before you start feeling a bit nutty. Maybe not nutty, but a little worn out. A lotta worn out. So after Allen took the kids this morning and later on this evening, I felt he deserved (and well, needed) a haircut and we headed off to the mall. I wish I had a good before picture of him (I couldnt find my camera while we were waiting to get his hair cut- of course I later find that it was securely in my pocket... not sure all the nuttyness had quite left me just yet) but we concluded that he was either starting to look like Doc off of Back to the future, Ronald McDonald, or Willy Wonka. Not him personally, but the hair. Of course he was trying his hardest to fix his hair accordingly by pulling it up and out so it was well, sticking up and out on his head. The hair stylist truly had her work cut out for her... wonder if he tipped her... hmmm.... But heres an after picture, with me saying "Now Allen, just look natural for this one"

"No really Allen, look natural...."

"Allen! Just give me one good picture!"

"Okay, forget it!"

But really, it does look a lot better and I think Allen liked it. While Allen was getting his new doo, Juliana decided to get a little fussy because it was getting to be her mealtime, not to mention it was past her bedtime, so I told Allen that I was going to take her out to the car and feed her and see if she would settle down. So he hands me the keys and I stick them in my jacket pocket and walk out to the car, and pull out the keyring as Im approaching the car and then I notice...
I had the wrong set of keys! Okay I didnt get quite that close, but close enough before I realized that I was about to unlock the door with Juliana's teething ring that I had stuck in my pocket in case she needed entertaining...although there was no need- she decided to be the entertainer for the masses this evening with her loud wails, loud talking, spit bubbles, and well, just plain out spitting). And if anyone is wondering what to get her for Christmas, a plastic take out bag (with lots and lots of supervision) will do:

And if you're wondering where Noah was this evening- he was home safe, tucked in his crib. He's still feeling a little under the weather so after a few stories, a little bit of The King and I, and a sippy cup of milk he was ready for bed. My poor baby... but I must say, I am loving all these hugs and kisses Ive been getting from him these days. He can really be such a sweet boy.

And I will leave this blog at that, seeing that it is nearing 5:00am... yes, AM not PM... and unlike myself, my kiddos are morning people. Goodnight/Goodmorning all!